Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Urbanophile Approved: M & M

The film lineup at the Toby continues to impress. Saturday, Feb 28th there is a double header - I hesitate to call it a double-feature since you have to pay twice - featuring two films both named, simply, M.

The first is Fritz Lang's 1931 masterpiece. There's no need to tell you anything about this film as the material out there on it would fill volumes. Suffice it to say that I own it on DVD and have seen it in theater multiple times.

The other M is a 2007 feature from Korean director Lee Myung-se. I haven't seen this one yet, but can tell you that Lee's previous "Nowhere to Hide" is a stylish delight, and one of my favorite modern Asian films. Where else can you watch a murder unfold in slow-mo to the sound of the Bee-Gee's? So while this one might be a bit of an unknown for now, I'd attend based on Lee's track record alone.

By the way, for those who believe that Indy is behind the times, I don't believe that Lee's M has been screened in Chicago yet.

1 comment:

kjhulse said...

I always like your blog. And I think you comment about the film not yet being screened in Chicago is right on. Chicago is a great city - I love it, but it's past time for the masses to realize how great our own city is too.