Saturday, November 29, 2008

Rants and Raves: Taste

Ok, here's a new feature I invented just to bitch about something that happened this morning.

Taste (5164 N. College) might just be the best breakfast in town. Awesome food. They've got this order at the counter then take your number to a seat thing going, which I've always hated. But I figure, hey, it's their restaurant and they've probably got reasons. It's their thing and I respect it. Their joint, their rules.

The problem is that they left out an essential element of the order at the counter system, namely that YOU DON'T RESERVE A TABLE UNTIL YOU'VE ORDERED. At Taste, this is a rule more honored in the breach. I was there this morning and after ordering, we found ourselves confronting a restaurant half full of tables staked out by groups who were behind us in line. Sheesh. Luckily, there was still a space available, but this is simply ridiculous. Of course, you can't blame everyone because once the first asshole does this, everyone else has to do it to out of self defense. It's a bizarre restaurant variation on Mutual Assured Destruction.

How about this? Post a big sign right over the counter that says "NO RESERVING TABLES". Then have your helpful delivery staff, as they bring hot delicious food out to the people who genuinely have ordered, scan the place for clean tables populated by jerks who don't have a number, then politely tell them to GET THEIR ASS TO THE BACK OF THE LINE.

There, I feel better now.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nothing like a little scorched earth seating to get the blood boiling. I liken this experience to waiting in a long line at a place with only one cashier. Some other staff member shows up and mumbles "I'll take someone over here". Well, you know what will most likely ensues next.

Anonymous said...

I do like the food at Taste, but find the staff and owners a bit stiff. NOt very friendly. Charged me $1.00 to change the dressing on my salad.....

Anonymous said...

I agree with the above poster... I think the owner at TASTE is also a bit rude. I sent something back ONCE because it was unsatisfactory and he GRILLED me about it and was very huffy. I continue to eat there because 95% of the time the food is great. But it has colored my feeling toward the place.

Anonymous said...

I, too, have decided not to go back to this place. The food was okay, but the order-at-a-counter-and-then-fight-for-a-seat thing isn't for me. If I'm going to blow quite a bit of moolah for overpriced breakfast food, I'd like to be able to relax and have someone serve me. Is that weird? I don't mind leaving a tip....